Friday, March 4, 2011

Monday February 21, 2011

Chinese Fireside

(Jenny's notes: My parents were asked my the Mission President a month ago to provide the food for the monthly fireside that is held for all of the Chinese-speaking investigators and converts.)


Hi Family : )

Monday we cleaned and shopped then came home. I laid on the couch the rest of the day. I still don't feel very good so we didn't go to FHE (family home evening). The Elders are so cute. Several called to see if I was okay.

Wednesday we had a zone meeting. It went very well. Elder Su and Elder Woo are very good teachers. When we broke for lunch we made a Doctor appointment. There is an office right in the QV. I got right in and the Doctor said I have Bronchitis and gave me some meds. After that we went to the "Big W"
(The Aussie version of Walmart)and bought popcorn for the elders. They really liked it. It was a good day!

Thursday we taught a lesson to a girl named Louis. We taught her about the prodigal son. She really liked it. That is one of my favorites. Later we had Institute, there were 10 people there. It was on the Holy Ghost. I taught. It seemed to go well, but 3 Nephi 28:11 really stumped them.
("And the Holy Ghost beareth record of the Father and me; and the Father giveth the Holy Ghost unto the children of me, because of me.") We spent about ten minutes on that verse. But finally I was able to help them understand. After the lessons are over I feel like I just had a work out! It's good for me.

Friday we taught Julie. She likes to learn about the New Testament. So we taught her some parables. Julie is a very cute, funny girl. We enjoy her.

(Karen and Bruce do not have a car. They walk or ride the bus or tram everywhere they go. However the Zone leaders will pick them up and take them to Costco, or anywhere else that is really far away. They will be getting a car at the end of march.)

Saturday was the big fireside. Elder Woo and Elder Su took us to Costco. We bought pizza, stuff to make tuna sandwiches, fruit, carrots and dip, and muffins. We went to the church and got it all ready. Sister Lifferith (Mission President's wife) made fried rice with a topping. We had so much food. Everyone liked it. We had a lot of sandwiches and muffins left over. But we gave them to the missionaries.

(One major difference that my parents are getting use it is portion size. The Chinese people and the Aussies eat very small portions and rarely have a second helping.)

The program went very well. We asked four new memeber to share their testimonies and how they joined the church, bringing out the role the Holy Ghost played. Then we had all of the Elders sing "Called to Serve". Then I was the final speaker. I shared some thoughts on the Holy Ghost. Then I shared Grandpa Gladwell's conversion story. When it was over a man came up to the stage. Right in front of President and Sister Lifferith (Mission President and wife) he took my hand, looked right at me and thanked me for my story. He said "I brought an investigator with me tonight and she is trying to decide whether or not to join the church. One of her delemas is her family. They will be mad at her and she won't be a welcome there. I think your story and testimony helped her. " That was awesome. President and Sister Lifferith said they loved everything we did. They were very pleased. We had lots of compliments. I'm just so glad it's over!

Sunday after church, the zone leaders brought us back to the QV. We taught a lesson and then watched church movies until it was time to go home.

Well that is all for the week.
We love all of you very much.

Love,
Mom and Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment